Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Pre-First-Day-of-School Jitters

Can I just tell you all, I'm a little TERRIFIED of starting grad school!?!?! I always have some trepidation before a new semester - but this one has created bowl-shaking nerves... That might have been an overstatement, but you get the general idea.

I'm scared.

Not of the professors or the students. Just of the workload. And of the fact that I have to maintain above a 3.0 to stay in the program. YIKE! For the bulk of the summer I've had myself believing that the GPA requirement was just a good indicator that the classes would be easy and it would be no problem. But I think I knew the whole time that wasn't likely. And now I'm sure of it.

What I'm taking:

Educational Research
College Teaching
2nd Language Acquisition (online class)
Literary Theory

I am the most afraid of the Lit Theory class. Mostly because I'm worried I don't really know anything about it, and I'll be laughed out of the classroom for aspiring to be an English Prof with such little knowledge base.

What I'm finding to be surprisingly true, however, is that most - if not all - people have fears like these. Being found out as a fraud. Being busted for being underqualified, or worse yet - being discovered to be the moron you truly are. I am trying to seek comfort and solace in this idea. It's sorta working.

I also - at some point this semester - have to take the MAT (Miller Analogies Test) and pass it to remain in the grad program. Have any of you taken it? Do you have any pointers? Since it costs $115 a pop - I'm hoping to only have to take it once. We'll see how that works out.

I'm off to have nightmares about showing up naked to the wrong class now.

Sweet dreams to you, readers...

No comments: