Saturday, September 03, 2005

Saturday - working

And hello again, dear readers!!

Here I sit - rotting at work as I write today. I am missing the season opener of my beloved Sooners as I type. :(

I need to remember to bring a TV up here for my Saturday sentences.

This week has been busy but okay. Lots of reading, not a lot of sleeping, and I've developed a pretty mean tendonitis (sp?) in my right thumb. Every night, I take mass amounts of ibuprophen before Alex wraps my thumb in one of my super chic scarves which has become my adjustable nighttime ice pack.

School was okay this week. A lot less terrifying. My Lit Theory class is still the hardest class I've taken so far in my college career... But I turned in my first assignment this week, and we'll see how close to target I am - or if I need to just give up. :) Kidding! I'm going to tough it out with this class. Even if I can't earn an A - I'm going to stick with it. I'm thinking that for the rest of my classes I shouldn't have much of a problem earning an A. It's mostly attendance, and as I am learning - the key to success in Grad school is keeping up with the weekly assignments. Really - if I stick to those like I should, and don't fall behind, none of this should prove insurmountable.

Alex's brother Sterling stayed with us a couple of days this week. He was working on getting his things packed up from their Mother's house. He and I had a very nice and semi-intellecutal conversation about the benefits of comic books. We also discussed Shakespeare. Sterling is someone I'm really still just getting to know on a personal basis (beyond just the fact that he's Alex's brother) and I have to say that he's a really cool guy. Intelligent and funny. He also enjoys long walks on the beach... Just kidding. I don't know if he does... But I was starting to sound like a personal's advertisement. In short - I like Sterling, and I'm glad I'm getting to know him.

I hope that Laura won't mind - but I wanted to let those of you concerned know that her Uncle and Grandmother who lived in New Orleans got out and are safe and well. They do not know the state of their home, and won't for who knows how long... But the important thing is that they got out, and are okay. For any of you who have loved ones in the New Orleans area, my thoughts are with you. I really wish that there were something tangeable I could do for the people who have lost everything. I wish I had a large home and could offer spare bedrooms. I wish I had a semi truck and could drive there with it - full of water, food, and supplies. I wish I could do more than donate what little spare money I have to the American Red Cross. It's an overwhelming sense of helplessness. I even felt guilty as I got out of my hot shower this morning, had a warm breakfast, and drove to work in my air-conditioned car.

But I can't dwell on it. I have to just be thankfull for the things I have that are wonderful in my life. My home, my friends... I could list a million things. Although I complain frequently... I really am fortunate in my life.

I don't have any plans for this weekend. Other than possibly helping Alex's Mother pack her things and prepare to move. What is really nice is - after today, I don't have to be at work again until Thursday!! (We get Monday off as a paid holiday) I am looking forward to being able to do homework at home in my jammies. :)

Alex leaves for Canada on Wednesday. He and Sterling are driving there and will be gone for 2 weeks. They are going - as some of you already know - to see Pearl Jam. EIGHT TIMES!! It does sound a little rediculous, but I am so excited for them. I know that they will have an excellent time! I'm going to miss him though. Who knows how I'll fare without him here?!!?

That's all for now, readers... I've got some work to do here, and then, I should start on some homework. WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

No comments: