Thursday, September 22, 2005

Post Toasty

What was this news, you ask? Well, this past May, I met a teacher from a local high school, and told her that I was looking for a job teaching English. Like, at a community college or something of the like. She referred me to a lady who is the director of the English as a Second Language (ESL) program at Tulsa Technology Center (TTC) note: what I thought she said was that this lady was the director of the ESL program at TCC (Tulsa Community College) this will come into play later on in the story So - I immediately sent my resume to this lady, and never heard another word. Until a week ago...

The lady called me and asked if I were still interested in teaching for her. I said yes, and we set up an interview for 2 days later. I was so excited because A - I'd be teaching, and B - I'd be able to quit my job at Check 'n Go. I went to the interview where I realized that I was interviewing at TTC - a vocational school, and not TCC - a junior college. I thought "no big deal. We all have to start somewhere". Then, after about 20 minutes, she showed me the schedule, and pointed out the classes she would need me to teach. My schedule right now: Wednesdays: Class from 430p-10p Thursdays: Class from 730p-10p The classes she wanted me to teach were Monday/Wednesdays from 6-9pm, and Tuesday/Thursdays from 6-9pm. Problem. It was well past my add/drop period. AND - although she said it was merely a formality - I would have to be approved by the TTC board in order to be hired. And the board wasn't meeting until September 26th. So I would have had to gamble with dropping a class, and changing my established schedule for a maybe. I couldn't do it.

Plus - were I to actually get a job teaching in a high school this January, I wouldn't be able to teach for her and take masters classes at the same time.

In the end I sent her an email thanking her for her time and for the opportunity, but explained my situation.

I'm okay with it - but I'm sad because I'm now not teaching, and still stuck at C'nG. Hopefully I'll have all of my teacher certification stuff done by the end of October, and be able to find a teaching job for January. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

In other news - Alex is home!!! HOORAY!!! He came home Tuesday night, and I was SO happy to see him. We've fallen back into our old routine, and it's almost like he was never gone. Some call it "boring" - I call it "reassuring".

Those of you in the area - garage sale chez Marmee Oct 15. Come buy some of my crap. :)

Out.

No comments: