Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Get a circus makeover!

I'm back from North Carolina. It was a great trip. It was so nice to see my family. The graduation itself was so fun. That's right - I said a graduation ceremony was "fun". The North Carolina School of the Arts does things a little (okay, a lot) differently than other high schools. First - the students do not wear the traditional cap and gown. They wear whatever they choose. I have to say I liked the fact that they could express who they are through their clothes. Nick (my cousin) wore a cap and gown. He was the only one. Much like a college graduation, they graduated in groups divided up by schools. The school of dance, visual arts, music... Nick was in the school of drama. They were the most entertaining to watch. One guy walked across the stage to accept his diploma on stilts. One rode a unicycle. One, wearing a pimp suit and carrying a cane, stopped in the middle of the stage and in his best projecting voice said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I am about to be graduated." the place went up in laughter and applause. Nick, whose last name begins with a Z, was the last in his school to go across. They called out his name, and faintly in the background "Chariots of Fire" began to play. Nick ran across the stage IN SUPER SLOW MOTION. He slow-motion mouthed "thank you" to the chancellor as he received his diploma. Then to the front of the stage. Still in slow-mo, he unzipped his gown. (Side note - you couldn't tell whether he had clothes on or not underneath the gown, so as he reached for his zipper... he heard someone behind him say "oh, god") He tore off his gown, swung it around over his head, and threw it into the audience. Then, on to his drama teacher who he proceeded to pick up and carry off the stage. I know I'm biased. He is, afterall my baby cousin, and as dear to me as a brother... But Nick stole the show!! It was then that I realized - out of the millions of people who want to be stars - Nick already is one. So many many people want to go to LA and "make it". Nick will have no trouble.

On to me... I started summer school on Monday. I'm taking a class called "History of the Novel". In 8 weeks - we will be reading 7 novels. I finished the first one last night as I have a quiz over it today. Also - I did find out for sure that I am having to change my Masters from an MS in College Teaching to an MA in English. Turns out that if I want to get the PhD in English - I at very least have to have the MA in English. Needless to say - I am frustrated. I was 12 hours in. Would have been 18 hours in with a thesis done by the end of this summer. Now - at the end of this summer - I'll be 6 hours in, and maybe I'll be fully accepted in to the MA English program. But that's a pretty big maybe. Turns out - I have to have 30 hours of undergrad English to be accepted. I have 24. An undeclared minor. Why, you ask, do I have to have 30 hours of undergrad English? I have NO IDEA. I've already requested a meeting with my new advisor to discuss what hell he's planning on putting me through. I'm really frustrated that I was recruited for this MS program. I have never been unclear about my future goals. Masters, PhD, professor of English. I should never have been in the MS program. I should never have been recruited.

But what's done is done. It is going to take me a LOT longer to finish my masters now. Especially if I have to take 6 more hours of undergrad. Alex and Marmee both pointed out the fact that that time will pass whether I get my masters or not. True. But I'd rather get this damn thing out of the way!!

The heat of summer is upon us. 90 degree weather - and hotter. YUCK!

This is me - signing off, and thinking cool thoughts - until we meet again.

No comments: