Friday, February 03, 2006

...and we're back.

Another week down. They really have been flying by. No complaints from here. That having been said I am SO behind on my grading it's rediculous. I've got to get caught up this week - cause we have to prepare mid-quarter progress reports by the begining of next week (the 13th, I think).

Not that that's interesting. I'm just blathering.

In other news - Ladies and gentleman, we have a thesis!!! As most of you dedicated readers know, I have to write a thesis for my Master's. As I've taken a brief sabbatical from my grad work this semester, I gave myself the assignment to search for and develop a thesis statement. And I've found one... (this is literary - so if you're easily bored with scholastic chatter - skip to the next paragraph) I decided that many banned books are placed there due strictly to foul language, and not necessairly due to content. I have found that most parents have not even read the books they are so eager to ban. I decided that I should... WAIT! I can't divulge my thesis here on my blog. Someone might take my idea, and then it would appear as if I plagerized. Humpf... Well - so much for sharing my thesis. Rest assured - it's good. And it's already been approved by my advisor. :)

I'm so tired of getting sick. Marmee said I should just prepare myself to be sick for the next year. And my colleagues agree - most 1st year teachers spend the entire 1st year sick. But damn! Every weekend is ruined with me coughing & hacking, or worse... It would be so refreshing to just go out and have some fun on a weekend - and not have to be feeling all yucky.

I'll end today's post with some good information for any of you who are thinking of becoming a teacher... Things they don't tell you about teaching: 1 - You will have scheduled plan periods during which you will be expected to substitute in other teachers' classrooms, attend meetings, monitor hallways, receive mentoring (in your 1st year), and do pretty much everything under the sun EXCEPT PLAN! 2 - Nobody is going to tell you everything you need to know to correctly do your job. Learn on the fly - and don't expect anyone to feel bad that you weren't informed. It is your responsibility to find out what you don't know you're supposed to know. 3 - PRAY that you don't have to do a fire drill! Disaster drills and IOC drills are no big deal - you can figure those out by just watching everyone else. But since no one will tell you how to handle these drills ahead of time, it's best if you just PRAY to whatever god you choose that fire drills happen only when you have no students! 4 - Always bring your lunch. The cafeteria is a complicated and scary place and it's just not worth your life to try to go in there. 5 - Don't plan on having the luxury of modern technology. If you do have a computer, phone, tv, or overhead in your room - PLAN ON IT BREAKING! Because it will, and then you'll be screwed. 6 - Call parents early. I waited until today to call my first parent. I was afraid to. Don't be afraid. Call them. Some will be rude - but most will be appreciative, and they will influence their child to behave better in your class. 7 - Kiss your life goodbye. You will no longer have free time to casually read a book or watch a movie. Your life is now planning, grading, squeezing in 1 or 2 hours of sleep each night, and repeating that cycle. Be ready to be exhausted. 8 - Curriculum??? What curriculum??? There more than likely will not be one. They MIGHT give you a pacing calendar or some pass objectives, but then "good luck". Reserve the next 2 or 3 years of your life to creating your own curriculum. (At the end of which, you will be reassigned to teach a different grade or subject)

Now, don't take this to mean that I am disgruntled. I'm not. I'm still happy with my chosen profession. These are merely things I wish someone had told me before I started teaching. It would have been nice to know what to expect.

More to come! Stay tuned.

No comments: